Community Media Workshop presented a great conference Making Media Connections. You can follow the Twitter feed at #mmc10 or #mmc2010.
I was tweeting from sessions with great content and links. In addition you can listen to interviews I did with conference participants here.
- Successful crisis communication means planning in advance of crisis. Determining roles and responsibilities before crisis.
- Storytelling can be done with many voices.
- Be sure your message is clear and consistent.
- When pitching stories to media – email is good, but short and sweet on ideas – will ask for more info if they want it and phone call follow up appreciated. They don’t like our (nfp) press releases much and we are too wordy in general. Personalize the pitch to the right reporter, right time, right content.
- We have new tools, but old rules still apply. Need to have good content, story, to the point and building relationships.
- Question your story to make it better.
Met some great peeps, found friends and in general enjoyed the conference.