We need to treat some of our social media friends and followers like major donors. First we need to define what makes a social media friend a “major donor”.
- Has lots of followers
- Preferably a power user on more than one network – Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc.
- Re-tweets, responds or posts your messages to their friends
- Has participated in (or led) a Causes event, Twestival, other online giving
Has shown interest in giving back or donating
- Made a gift on-line or via social media
- Led a Causes page creation
- Features a nonprofit Cause or Page on their Facebook profile/website
- Signed and/or sent petition about social causes
- Formed or is part of a group to support a nonprofit or support opportunity
- Shared photos/stories from a volunteer activity
- Posted nonprofit information
- Shared a post about giving back
- Has given a gift to you and/or other causes– but this may not be a requirement
The best part of social media is we can learn so much about our followers and friends from their profiles. Old school prospect research has turned into Googling someone and their LinkedIn profile shows up. Now we can go to Facebook and learn more about our follower’s interests better and faster than ever before.
Next post – once you have identified your social media major donors – what are you going to do with them?
Add to: Facebook | Digg | Del.icio.us | Stumbleupon | Reddit | Blinklist | Twitter | Technorati | Furl | Newsvine
2 thoughts on “Fundraising – Identifying Social Media “Major Donors””
Thank you for this article. I am a new development coordinator at a local grassroots community charity. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
I am so glad you found it useful. Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. I hope you find other posts useful as you continue in your development career. Be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss a post. As you move along, please feel free to send me a post to share on my blog about your experiences as a new development staff person. Challenges, successes, questions and answers. You will also find more info on my website http://www.3talisman.com.